Hot dog chili is perfect for canning in a pressure canner. Cook your chili by browning the ground beef and adding crushed tomatoes and spices. Hot pack the chili into sterilized canning jars and process them in a pressure canner for 70-90 minutes.
Do You Have to Pressure Can Hot Dog Chili?
It is recommended to pressure can hot dog chili for safety. Pressure canning ensures the chili reaches and maintains the necessary temperature to kill harmful bacteria, making it safe for long-term storage.
Can Hot Dog Chili Be Canned in a Water Bath?
Hot dog chili is a low-acid food due to its ingredients which include vegetables and ground beef. As a result, it cannot be safely canned using a water bath canning method. Water bath canning is suitable for high-acid foods, such as fruits, pickles, and jams, with a pH of 4.6 or lower. Low-acid foods require a higher temperature to destroy harmful bacteria, which can only be achieved through pressure canning.Print
How to Flavor Canned Hot Dog Chili
If you want to add some yummy enhancements to your canned hot dog chili sauce, here are some suggestions:
- Freshness: Experiment with adding dried herbs such as oregano, basil, thyme, or cilantro for freshness
- Heat: Add seasonings like chili powder, cayenne pepper, jalapeno powder, paprika, or red pepper flakes
- Sweetness: Add a tablespoon of brown sugar, honey, or maple syrup
- Umami: Add a splash of Worcestershire sauce, tomato paste, soy sauce, or balsamic vinegar
What is Different About Adding Beans When Canning Hot Dog Chili?
Adding beans to hot dog chili is possible, but there are a few things to keep in mind:
- Beans must be thoroughly cooked before canning. Follow recommended soaking and cooking times for the specific type of beans you’re using.
- Beans are a low-acid ingredient, and adding low-acid ingredients can affect the overall pH of the chili. To maintain safe acidity levels, it is crucial to use tested canning recipes containing beans that account for adding low-acid ingredients.
- Pressure canning is necessary to ensure the destruction of harmful bacteria, such as Clostridium botulinum, and create a safe, shelf-stable product.
How to Store Canned Hot Dog Chili
To properly store canned hot dog chili, follow these guidelines:
- Ensure that each jar has a secure seal.
- Label each jar with the date of canning and the contents to track the shelf life.
- Store chili in a dark and dry storage area with a temperature of 50°F to 70°F.
- Avoid storing the jars in direct sunlight or near heat sources.
- Before consuming the hot dog chili, inspect the jar for any indications of spoilage, such as bulging lids or a strange odor; discard jars that show signs of spoiling.
Serving Suggestions for Canned Hot Dog Chili
Canned hot dog chili opens up a world of delicious possibilities. Here are some interesting serving suggestions to make the most of your hot dog chili:
1. Classic Chili Dog
Top your hot dog with a generous amount of hot dog chili, then add your favorite toppings like diced pickled onions, shredded cheese, and a drizzle of mustard or ketchup. Enjoy it in a soft or toasted bun!
2. Chili Cheese Fries
Prepare a plate of crispy French fries and smother them with heated hot dog chili. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese, chopped green onions, and jalapeños for an extra kick.
3. Loaded Nachos
Create a crowd-pleasing platter of loaded nachos by spreading layers of tortilla chips, hot dog chili, diced tomatoes, cheese, and pickled jalapenos on a baking sheet. Bake until the cheese is melted and bubbly, then remove from the oven and apply generous dollops of sour cream.
4. Chili Mac and Cheese
Cook your favorite macaroni noodles, then mix them with hot dog chili and creamy cheese sauce. Sprinkle with toasted breadcrumbs and bake until it’s golden and bubbling.
5. Chili Cornbread Muffins
In a greased muffin tin, portion cornbread batter, filling each tin halfway. Add a dollop of hot dog chili in the center of each muffin, then top with just enough batter to cover the chili. Bake the stuffed cornbread muffins until golden brown.
What is the Shelf Life of Canned Hot Dog Chili?
Canned hot dog chili can be safely stored for one year. The NCHFP and USDA suggest using canned hot dog chili within one year for the best quality. While it may still be safe to consume beyond this time, the flavor, texture, and nutritional value might gradually deteriorate.